AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Connecting Trimble Reviever to a Raven field computer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Albertafarmer1
Posted 6/8/2013 18:49 (#3144423 - in reply to #3144238)
Subject: Re: Connecting Trimble Reviever to a Raven field computer

EC Alberta
Hello AMC, Thank you for your reply

I understand that WAAS satellites don't use GLONASS in there correction, but I was told by Raven tech support that the field computer will recognize corrections from 1 GLONASS satellite, of the several that it is tracking. Then the field computer uses the multiple WAAS corrections that it receives, plus the single GLONASS correction that it receives and then makes a calculation on actual position. If that makes any sense. It says in the manual that: Quote (an optional GLONASS authorization key is available to enhance the standard GPS satellite constellation. This key allows the dual frequency reciever to utilize the GLONASS satellite constellation which can increase the number of satellites at any given time and improve satellite coverage) It also states in a note: (The GLONASS satellites will be utilized when set to SBAS or RTK correction sources). A low accuracy correction (WAAS) combined with unreliability makes for some serious frustration!

As for Gl1de, I never knew that it was an option when the DGPS signal is routed through the internal receiver via Tilt/SmartTrax. I knew the option was there in the differential screen when set to internal or external receiver, but it disappeared when set to via Tilt/SmartTrax (for the Smartsteer to work). So tech support said that I could set my source to internal receiver, select Gl1de enabled, then go back and select internal receiver via Tilt/SmartTrax and that Gl1de should remain enabled, but the option would not be visible in the differential screen. Hopefully it does, because it should help a little.

The reason we are interested in trying a Trimble receiver with RangePoint RTX is because I am not sure if any other receiver is capable of the RangePoint signal. We are not looking for more accuracy (broadacre cereal, oil seed, and pulse) just more reliability.
This is why I believe RangePoint RTX would be a perfect signal:

-Inexpensive yearly subscription
-short convergence time
-6" or less pass to pass
-20" or less repeatable,
-allows the use of GPS AND GLONASS satellites with the AG372 GNSS receiver
-free GLONASS unlock for the duration of the RangePoint RTX subscription
-designed to be a reliable signal for areas where SBAS signal is limited

I would assume that if we went this route (372 receiver) that it would read the signal and relay it through the Smartsteer, and E Pro. I don't see why the E Pro would be incompatible with this signal, but I could be wrong.

Phoenix 300 receivers unlocked to OmniStar are priced crazy, plus the subscriptions are rather expensive, and I have heard quite a bit of complaining about the reliability of those signals this spring as well. About the only OmniStar I would be interested in would be G2, but that is a different version of the Phoenix 300 again, but the AG372 is capable of it.

I know I kinda ramble on, but I have been thinking about this a lot lately. All of the useful information I have got lately has come from AG forums, so I might aswell get it all out here.

Thanks

Edited by Albertafarmer1 6/8/2013 18:51
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)