AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Connecting Trimble Reviever to a Raven field computer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Albertafarmer1
Posted 6/8/2013 15:14 (#3144217)
Subject: Connecting Trimble Reviever to a Raven field computer

EC Alberta
Hello

This is my first post on AgTalk. I have followed the Precision section for quite a while now, and there seems to be some very knowledgable people responding, so I figured I would register and post a few questions.

We are located in east central Alberta. We have 2 Raven Envisio Pro 2's, with MBA-6 helix antennas on the roof, using Smartsteer 3D for autosteer. Both Units have Built in dual frequency NovAtel receivers utilizing WAAS correction PRN locked on 135 (was on 138 previously). All calibration and measurements have been done correctly. Both units have excellent hardwired/fused power. One unit has version 5.3.02 smarttrax software, the other has 5.4.00 (I have version 6.0.17, but have not installed it yet) About 50% of the time everything works pretty darn good. The other half of the time satellites are dropped, picked up and dropped again (several times in a minute, several times per day. Sometimes once a day, sometimes not even once per day) reeking havoc with our signal quality (probably nothing out of the ordinary at 53 deg. north latitude) This causes massive line shifts, and incredibly inconsistent implement overlap. The overlap issue is also noticeable when signal is ok, but not as bad. I have talked with Raven and I can purchase a GLONASS authorization key. I was told by tech support that the key would let the E Pro track all visible GLONASS satelittes, but it would only use corrections from one when set to SBAS. So Probably not worth the $940 for the key. I found a part number on the Raven website for a Phoenix 300 capable of OmniStar G2, but the tech could not get me a price on it because supposedly that receiver doesn't exist (assuming $5500-$6000, if it exists). So my other option, which I like better anyways would be to connect a Trimble AG372 GNSS receiver to the E Pro, and subscribe to a Trimble correction signal (Rangepoint RTX ideally). So, to my questions now.

-I know this is possible, but will the E Pro recognized these Trimble correction signals or other corrections (with proper unlocks if necessary) ex: OmniStar XP/HP/G2, RangePoint RTX, CenterPoint RTX?

-Is the receiver the only thing that needs to be unlocked to utilize any of these signals?, or both the receiver and E Pro 2?

-Is there another Trimble External Receiver capable Of RangePoint RTX?

-Do you connect the External Receiver to the 9 pin serial connector "DGPS in" going into the Smart Trax node? (Gen 1 cables)

-How do you get the 372 receiver to output VTG, GGA at 10Hz and ZDA at 0.2Hz with a baud rate of 19200 if its not already?

-Anyone connecting a Trimble Reciever to another brand of monitor?

-Anything else I need to know to make this happen?

-Can I install the new Smart Trax software via USB?

-I downloaded the software from Raven's website, how do I unzip the file?

I look forward to any, and all responses. These forums are a great resource for all farmers alike.

Thank-you

Edited by Albertafarmer1 6/8/2013 22:06
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)