AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ford Ecoboost big problems.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jon Hagen
Posted 5/20/2013 20:14 (#3108060 - in reply to #3107915)
Subject: Re: Ford Ecoboost big problems.

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
pat-michigan - 5/21/2013 18:17

All I have to say about that is "yeehaw" , Jon!:) 600 ponies can't be considered a bad thing, can it?

I test drove my first ecoboost a couple of weeks ago. It was very hard to imagine it being short 2 cylinders. That is, if one thinks they need 8. It wasn't hooked on to anything, so I didn't get a feel for how it would be towing.

And- speaking of towing- have a few ecoboosts in the 'hood. One family has 3, with each having a different rear axle ratio. Claim it makes a more than normal difference in power and economy, depending on the job. Whatever more than normal might mean in this case. Guess where I'm going, is that I have a 2010 1/2 ton crew cab chevy that I ordered a 3.08 rear end in. And, when I'm not towing anything (which is usually) the milage is what I consider to be fine. Hook my enclosed trailer on it- loaded or empty- and she really groans. Even with the 6 speed auto, and even if I behave myself with my right foot. Obviously, for the rare times I haul something, I'm probably geared OK. Anyway, what's the NAT approved rear axle ratio for an ecoboost that occasionally hauls something but usually doesn't?

The little Ecoboost engines are the big 3's first successful experiment with a small turbocharged gas engine that lives under hard use. Being it is a little low friction 3.5 L thing, it can make good mpg if you allow it to do that, while still being capable of big engine torque and hp if you need it.
What I suspect many do not understand, is that it can't make big engine power and 22 mpg at the same time.
Remember, the epa highway mpg number is taken in warm weather, on summer gas, never over 60 mph, and 0-60 in a minimum of 20 seconds or more. It takes gentle driving and a light load to make the 20+ mpg. I suspect most brands are working on tricks to give us several choices of honest 20+ mpg half ton pickups. None are going to do this upwind, loaded up at 70 + mph.

Edited by Jon Hagen 5/20/2013 20:20
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)