AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New to gps and need suggestions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tron
Posted 5/11/2013 18:43 (#3092968 - in reply to #3081710)
Subject: Re: New to gps and need suggestions

There's a wide range of options. I'm way too far north of corn country to know exactly your conditions, but what sort of steering accuracy and performance do you need? How tightly does the steering have to hold the line, and how exact does that line need to be located?

RTK will give you sub-inch signal, but matching it up to an entry level steering system won't hold that line precisely.

A personal favourite of mine (and being a dealer I'm biased) is Trimble's FM-750, EZ-Pilot, and Centerpoint RTX signal. That's the midrange display, midrange steering, and midrange signal. Very good performance for money spent, but depending on your needs you may cut some costs or add some performance to it.

Despite what you go with, ESPECIALLY if you are starting out, what your dealer knows is far more important than saving a bit of money up front. Speak to your neighbours about their experiences with their GPS sales and support. The best system in the world doesn't help if you can't make it work and your dealer can't help you out. Also, the starter package EZ-250 and EZ-Steer can handle a lot if you have good support to get it dialed in very well.

I always like to ask my customers what they want to do this year, what they want to do next year, and maybe what are they thinking about 2 years out. Don't purchase past that point. The odds of the best way to get something done being the same today as they will be 3 years from now is pretty slim.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)