AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Me and my mommas (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 5/9/2013 16:46 (#3089140 - in reply to #3088093)
Subject: RE: Me and my mommas (pics)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

southernblues - 5/8/2013 23:15

...  She jumped up and bolted!  

Second pic is the newborn with all her mommas.  Seems all the heifers are curious as to what this little creature is doing.  So far, so good -- she's got a good momma.  Pretty leggy and not my ideal disposition but she's already done well by calving easy and on her own.

BTW even some of the best disposition cows and especially heifers are sort of jumpy and protective after calving. I wouldn't judge their disposition based on a few days after calving.

I have found that just being out walking among the cows and calves gets them used to you. Especially the new calves. After they get used to having a 2 legged creature walking slowly among them and talking to them they may actually come right up to you - unless cautious mom calls them back. I like to just go out in the pasture in the early evening after calves have nursed and sit down in the middle of the cows grazing.

Unfortunately not much weather nor time for that so far this spring. If its dry enough to sit in the grass I would be planting corn!

Jim

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)