AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Today was "interesting" .............
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

zeefarmer9
Posted 2/12/2008 07:39 (#307588 - in reply to #307430)
Subject: RE: CWB Spring wheat .... Price Sheet

Swift Current, Sask
That is what the farmers have been sent in payments so far this crop year (beginning Aug 1/07). The initial price for 1CWRS 13.5 protein was $4.18/bus as of Aug 1/07. Then there were payments sent by the CWB totaling $2.17/bus ($1.38+$0.79). So the price you would recieve if you were to deliver that wheat to the elevator right now (Feb 12/08) would be $6.35/bus. I do believe that this price is before freight, cleaning, handling charges, etc, which usually take off a $1.50/bus (I'm just estimating here). So in essence, you would get $4.85/bus NET right now.

Now if you look at this link to the CWB http://www.cwb.ca/dom/db/contracts/pool_return/pro.nsf/WebPRPub/200... , you will see what the CWB is estimating the price to be for our final payment. Now this fluctuates throughout the year depending on what they have sold, markets, etc, etc. If you scroll down the page far enough, you will see what that translates into the farmer SUPPOSEDLY getting for this year. This can go up or down (even as I type this I get more and more frustrated with the CWB GRRR!). PLUS, we will not get paid fully for this grain until mid-December 2008!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the PRO (pool return outlook) minus average freight and handling for each province.
1 CWRS 13.5 protein- $9.77/bus in store Vancouver
Manitoba- $8.26/bus
Saskatchewan- $8.14/bus
Alberta- $8.39/bus
British Columbia- $8.45/bus

I hope this clears the air a little.

BTW, I DO NOT care for the CWB one bit, and that will influence what we seed this year, AGAIN. Out of the last 5-6 years (with the exception of last year 2007-08), we have made more money on our feed barley than our wheat and durum that we sell to the CWB. BUT the only reason we didn't this past year is because of the heat and drought we experienced here in southern Saskatchewan. Even at average yields, barley still pencils in quite well against wheat and durum this year, even at these price levels we have experienced this year.

So, barley will make up the biggest portion of our cereal acres this year, and will continue to do so until the CWB is gone, and we can market our grain on our own.

You guys can thank the CWB for the run-up in spring wheat prices, since we have taken out so many wheat acres in the past years, and replaced it with crops we can market on our own and MAKE A PROFIT. (ie. canola, peas, lentils) That is one reason why those acres continue to climb every year and wheat seems to slip.

Sorry for my rant, but I am very frustrated, and I'm sure you can tell why. :)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)