AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Putting land into WRP, any new do's and don't?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Kickapoogian
Posted 4/16/2013 07:31 (#3039020 - in reply to #3038793)
Subject: Re: Putting land into WRP, any new do's and don't?

Soldiers Grove Wi. 54655
I don't know if this is comparable to what we have in Wi. but I believe it is. 15 years ago when rent prices were only around 75$/a we had 15 acres of marginal land on our river bottom we enrolled in a program that paid about $100/a per year on a 15 year contract. Sort of like CRP... We had quite a few years of wet weather and couldn't get in to brush hog it down or spray it(and they didn't want it "all" cut of course.. Let me tell ya, those dammed willows can come up so fast if you don't nip them or spray them in 4 years they are just about to big for a brush hog.. Then we had 2 years straight of 100 year floods on the Kickapoo... By then we couldn't even hire anyone to come in and brush hog the ground as the beaver had eaten off some of the larger willows and populars so they would be like spears to be ripe and ready to go through any tractor tire that approached them.. We sent a letter explaining our situation and they let us out of the contract... Over the years we took in about $5000 or so on the program and spent hours trying to keep the brush under control but when it came time to clean it up it cost us over $5000 to have the ground dozed and ripped so it could be used for farmland (some field and some pasture) The willows got so thick you couldn't walk through it and the lower end is still like that since we sold part of it off...No light hits the ground, sure deer will go in to the area if pushed and to hide but I sure would hate to have a beef cow get loose and walk into the mess and have a calf as they'd never get out if you know what I mean.... I can't remember the name of it but it was similar to the CRP... Again, 15 years is a long time, 30 seems like forever but maybe it's a different program. I know a lot of people who planted walnut in their crp 15 year contracts (15 years ago or better) and they were good stable fields that are probably sick they did it now with rents like they are.. And the trees sure aren't growing like the forest service always said they would so they'll never see a cutting from them...
Good luck
Kickapoogian...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)