AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fuel storage requirements.......
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

kstate90
Posted 4/3/2013 07:34 (#3009982 - in reply to #3008938)
Subject: RE: Fuel storage requirements.......

North Central Kansas
Larry I looked this up on the EPA website. #4 & #5 says you don't have to do anything unless you are near a navigable water.

http://www.epa.gov/osweroe1/content/spcc/spcc_ag.htm#faq_2

3. Is my farm covered by SPCC?

SPCC applies to a farm that:
Stores, transfers, uses or consumes oil or oil products, such as diesel fuel, gasoline, lube oil, hydraulic oil, adjuvant oil, crop oil, vegetable oil or animal fat; and
Stores more than 1,320 US gallons in total of all aboveground containers (only count containers with 55 gallons or greater storage capacity) or more than 42,000 gallons in completely buried containers; and
Could reasonably be expected to discharge oil to navigable waters of the US or adjoining shorelines, such as lakes, rivers and streams.

4. How do I determine if my farm could reasonably discharge oil into or upon navigable waters or adjoining shorelines? You can determine this by considering the geography and location of your farm relative to nearby navigable waters (such as lakes, rivers, streams, creeks and other waterways) or adjoining shorelines. You should consider if ditches, gullies, storm sewers or other drainage systems may transport an oil spill to nearby navigable waters or adjoining shorelines. Estimate the volume of oil that could be spilled in an incident and how that oil might drain or flow from your farm and the soil conditions or geographic features that might affect the flow toward navigable waters or adjoining shorelines. Also you may want to consider whether precipitation runoff could transport oil into navigable waters or adjoining shorelines. You may not take into account manmade features, such as dikes, equipment, or other structures that might prevent, contain, hinder, or restrain the flow of oil. Assume these manmade features are not present when making your determination. If you consider the applicable factors described above and determine a spill can reasonably flow to a waterwaynavigable water or adjoining shorelines, then you must comply with the SPCC rule.

Top of page

5. If your farm does not have fuel storage that will flow into navigable waters by a ditch, river, stream or lake, do you have to prepare a SPCC Plan? No. EPA suggests you use a common sense approach. If one of your oil storage tanks leaks, and the spilled oil would not flow into navigable waters or adjoining shorelines, you do not have to prepare a Plan. Remember that you still have the responsibility to clean up any spilled oil and a containment system (for example, a dirt berm around the tank) makes this easier. EPA recommends that you check with your state environmental contacts to determine if there are requirements when oil is spilled to soil only. Also, EPA recommends that you document the reasons why you think an oil spill would not reach water to demonstrate to regional inspectors, if necessary, that your facility is not subject to the SPCC rule.

I hope this clarifies it a little better.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)