AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Another grain bin collapse pic
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 3/28/2013 20:55 (#2998561 - in reply to #2996590)
Subject: RE: almost happened here.

southern MN
Had that almost happen to a half million or bit bigger bin a mile away from me. Been long enough ago it musta been before Internet was common, can't find it on line.

Anyhow, worker at the coop found some bolt heads laying on the ground, they looked up a bit and found a seam coming loose.

It was quite a deal. If the bin failed it would send grain out to the highway, or close to some houses in the neighborhood.

Bin Engineer had to approve a best plan, they got a 30 thousand bin empty, set up the legs and augers to just run on auto, and fired it up, pulled the grain out and filled the 30. That was far enough away to be able to load trucks on the far side of it in reasonable safety, and hauled out for a while.

That is how I remember it; I don't get out much and the coop didnt exactly want to dwell on the topic, so I might have a detail wrong, but as I remember it. There were a lot of goofy rumors as to why it happened, I won't even try to repeat that as it all sounded silly....

Bin was repaired and been used ever since.

But, no, you don't run up and start unloading, if it lets loose theres a wave of grain that causes some real problems to anyone standing by, and starting the grain moving can set it off....

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)