AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Seed Dealer Presentation Help
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Kickapoogian
Posted 3/26/2013 17:37 (#2993453 - in reply to #2992870)
Subject: Re: Seed Dealer Presentation Help

Soldiers Grove Wi. 54655
I noticed someone mentioned going to the coop or ag dealer...

How many of you feel co-ops are really co-ops any more? I've been on co-op boards over the years and of course over time most of them continued to get picked up and merge with larger co-ops until now days some are actually so big they almost hold a monopoly on the seed and fertilizer business in our part of the state. Sadly to the point of being in competition with some of their own or former patrons and to the point the patron has become a non vital statistic to them.. Yes I still do some business with co-ops and believe in the concept but my eyes were opened when our small plant merged with a larger one years ago and instead of representing 20 patrons per board member it turned into 120 patrons per board member or more... Also being pulled aside at lunch break and being told I should not "Question" our CEO and management team turned me very sour on what has become of the larger co-ops... Being a number sucks, representing your patrons and getting your hands slapped sucked also but it didn't stop me..
As far as seed I try to buy mine from some good friends who are seed dealers over going to a co-op or larger agribusiness but we have quite a different situation in my neck of the woods as there may be a few jerks that will try to steal land out from under you by telling lies or just driving up prices to get the ground out from under their neighbors out of spite but there aren't many... Those that are playing that game know better than try to sell seed as word spreads fast.. Also if they happen to lose a piece of ground back to a former renter or anyone else you can hear the whining echoing through the valleys... :)
Sorry I got a little off topic here..
Kickapoo...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)