AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The science of clay
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jbgruver
Posted 3/16/2013 12:15 (#2969102 - in reply to #2966276)
Subject: Re: The science of clay

Hello Eddie,

Sorry to be slow to respond.

I don't have any personal experience with Crestmeade or similar soils but here are some thoughts:

The "clay bulge" in Cresmeade soils has high shrink-swell potential so I expect that some serious cracking occurred last summer.

These cracks may be mostly closed up now depending on how much rain/snow you have received this winter but conditions will probably be better than normal for deep root growth for an extended period of time.

Annual ryegrass with its exceptional tolerance of poor drainage seems like the cover crops species best suited for deep rooting in Crestmeade soils.

Brassicas generally do not grow well in poorly drained soils but your fall conditions may sometimes be dry enough to allow deep root growth by radishes or other brassicas.

I seem to recall that you have had good success using chicken litter... annual ryegrass and chicken litter are probably a great combination that will enhance the effects of both.

If you have not already seen this set of slides on using cover crops to improve claypan soils, you might want to take a look:
http://extension.missouri.edu/sare/resources/covercropII/claypan.pd...

Do you know if anyone in your area has tried amending Crestmeade or similar soils with gypsum?

If not, it would probably be worthwhile to try some strips and monitor them for multiple years but I would not go hog wild with gypsum until you have seen local evidence of benefit.

Joel
WIU Agriculture

Edited by jbgruver 3/16/2013 12:26
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)