AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Selecting Crop Insurance Coverage Rates
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Dean (West MI)
Posted 3/15/2013 22:09 (#2968229 - in reply to #2967538)
Subject: RE: Selecting Crop Insurance Coverage Rates

hinfarm - 3/15/2013 17:36

Dean (West MI) - 3/15/2013 13:57

Thanks guys for all of the information, there were a lot of good perspectives on the issue. I work outside of the farm, so I can withstand some loss if needed. I've decided to take the given advice and go with with 75% coverage and use the extra money to have grid sampling done. Hopefully that will cut down on the input costs. What I am finding is that first year farming is both fun and terrifying. LOL.

This is none of my business and please feel free to tell me to pound sand if you wish. $500 an acre seems really high if you have 90 bu corn ground as far as inputs go. Currently corn here is hovering around $5.20 for fall 13. If your land is "like the average" in the county you are at a loss already. 90 bu / $500 is $5.40 bu for break even thats bad news before you even get started.

It has also been my experience you use as much or more fertilizer and lime with grid samples, it just gets put where it needs to go instead of willy nilly. Feel free to email me if you want to talk about your input costs or like I said I can mind my own bees wax too, but somewhere along the line your getting hosed.

Thanks hinfarm for the offer. I plan on sending you an email shortly. I would love to talk to someone successful and gain as much information as possible, I really appreciate the offer!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)