AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soil Bank Account Interesting
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

mhagny
Posted 3/13/2013 19:39 (#2963132 - in reply to #2961810)
Subject: Re: Soil Bank Account Interesting

sgroff - 3/13/2013 05:21 It would be my opinion that if we pay more attention to the biological component of the soil, we could unlock those nutrients faster. I think i'm seeing that on my farm and others are as well who are using multiple species of cover crops mixed together. More studies need to be done but there are a growing number of farmers around the nation on this track to lowering fertilizer rates while maintaining yields.

Biological weathering (excreting of acids by roots) does unlock some nutrients, most notably phos.  So growing more stuff (especially brassicas or lupins) helps unlock some P from an inert tightly bound condition.  Growing more stuff also helps keep things from getting fixed again -- they are continually being taken up from the root channels of previous crops, or from the surface mulch.  Growing more stuff also prevents a huge amount of leaching, esp K and nitrate and chloride.  But we have to face up to the fact that a great many soils do not have big supplies of Zn, Cu, B, etc.  I'm just being realistic here -- cover crops can make some nutrient deficiencies worse, not better, since more is going into soil OM, and soil microbial biomass is greater.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)