AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

925 flexhead on 1480 project done. (pictures)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Chad H
Posted 7/25/2006 00:39 (#29617 - in reply to #29603)
Subject: Re: 925 flexhead on 1480 project done. (pictures)

NE SD
Jon,

We ran air reels on the 900 series heads for several years before moving to 600 series heads. The 600 series heads will cut closer and do a nicer job, but I believe they are somewhere in the middle of a 900 without an air reel and one with an air reel in short beans. In regular to tall beans the 600 will win by a mile. The air reel made the 925's and 930's cut wheat better as well........helped keep the cutterbar clean leading to less bunching. We always moved the nozzles out so they pointed somewhat downward at a spot right behind the guards. Seemed to work well there. Sometimes we had to run the air full open........had no choice.

The downsides to the air reel..........there is only really one.........dirty dirty dirty. Here in the fall in the evenings the wind generally slows down to nothing. Often times travelling on even highways here in September can be dangerous due to the many acres of soybeans being harvested and all of the dust drifting. The air reels only create MORE dust..........often times when it gets near dark to dark, it can become near impossible to see. Sometimes it gets to the point where at the end of the field when you turn around you just pick a row a ways out in front of you and follow that row the best you can........safer to just shut down I'd say. I know you said you had poor eyesight....makes me wonder if you don't shut down in poor visibility anyway? Autosteer will definately show a return in soybean harvesting.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)