AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Precision planting corn vs just drilling it %yield loss
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Cturner
Posted 3/10/2013 17:02 (#2955662 - in reply to #2955510)
Subject: RE: Precision planting corn vs just drilling it %yield loss

Pleasant Hills, NSW Australia
Thats very well picked up, there is issues with the water, seems that no one has been able to utililise the volume properly, 27" mostly winter rainfall site. I've been driving past for years and I use to work next door and I never saw anybody grow decent summer crops, I've seen a few good grain/silage sorgum crops and some good lucerne but otherwise only cereals under the pivots. They say theres 7ML/ha/year of avalible water on 312ha (2200ML storage dam plus other water) and with a pretty wet winter climate (no snow) winter irrigation potential would be limited so I figure you'd need some nice thirsty summer crops to use up the water and make some money. The concensus (between me and one other person) is that its just been limited by the skill/imagination of the leasee, and with recent advancment with corn varities double cropping should be possible. There is some salt in the water and the ground use to be under pines too so the soil is'nt that friendly, but they'll give you as much "mill mud" as you want, which is treated paper pulp from the recycling process. I've been reading previous posts about corn and beans not being that great wth salty water but as yet I don't know how bad it is - and the lease does'nt come up for a few years yet so i've got time.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)