AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

RAGBRAI 2013
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 3/10/2013 12:33 (#2955060 - in reply to #2954671)
Subject: Re: RAGBRAI 2013

They missed the house here by 3 miles last year. Didn't see any stray on gravel. Didn't try to go to the grocery store that day either.

According to the local papers, they require purchasing a license for each food stand along the route, no matter where it was located. Fee was at least $50. That tends to keep Granny from selling a few batches of cookies. Granny has to sell more than Granny wants to make to break even.

Local towns went ape over the prospect of 15,000 hungry and thirsty visitors. Overnight stops went ape and then moaned about finding sleeping spaces for them and their support drivers. And probably cleaned up trash for 6 weeks. But I didn't hear any town grumbles when the fully stocked stores were sold out and the cash registers and safes were all filled with money.

I was scheduled to go to a conference in Cedar Rapids that began the day the riders left last year. I didn't go early and sleep over, I got out early and drove 20 and I380 and saw no bikers at all on the interstates. Some I knew avoided that conference because of the prospect of 15,000 bikers.

In years past I've begun a vacation trip for that conference in other locations and taken back roads (because I don't take my camper on the interstates) and encountered stray bikers as I crossed their route a day after their scheduled passage.

Gerald J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)