AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My agronomist says the Chinese have this information
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

mafrif
Posted 3/7/2013 16:03 (#2949017 - in reply to #2948371)
Subject: SO..What's your point?

NC Iowa

Even if your highly suspicious information is correct, we aren't all doomed to instant death.   May want to do some investigation on your "Medical Management Guidelines" 

I don't care either way for GMO's, they are needed in some instances, in not in others.  But I do care about a scare compaign with no proof that it is a valid scientific test.

Will save the cattlemen some money.. 

Formaldehyde is used in the animal feed industry, where it is added to ruminant feeds to improve handling characteristics. The food mixture contains less than 1% formaldehyde, and animals may ingest as much as 0.25% formaldehyde in their diet (Scheuplein, 1985). Formalin has been added as a preservative to skim milk fed to pigs in the United Kingdom (Florence & Milner, 1981) and to liquid whey (from the manufacture of cheddar and cottage cheeses) fed to calves and cows in Canada. Maximum concentrations in the milk of cows fed whey with the maximum level of formalin tested (i.e., 0.15%) were up to 10-fold greater(i.e., 0.22 mg/kg) than levels in milk from control cows fed whey without added formalin (Buckley et al., 1986, 1988). In a more recent study, the concentrations of formaldehyde in commercial 2% milk and in fresh milk from cows fed on a typical North American dairy total mixed diet were determined. Concentrations in the fresh milk (i.e., from Holstein cows, morning milking) ranged from 0.013 to 0.057 mg/kg, with a mean concentration (n = 18) of 0.027 mg/kg, while concentrations in processed milk (i.e., 2% milk fat, partly skimmed, pasteurized) ranged from 0.075 to 0.255 mg/kg, with a mean concentration(n = 12) of 0.164 mg/kg. The somewhat higher concentrations in the commercial 2% milk were attributed to processing technique, packaging, and storage, but these factors were not assessed further (Kaminski et al., 1993).

Edited by mafrif 3/7/2013 16:06
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)