AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What are you going to plant
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

King Tut
Posted 1/28/2008 00:19 (#294897 - in reply to #294836)
Subject: Re: What are you going to plant

East Central Illinois
Will stay our tried and true pattern about a 50/50 split.Have all of our NH3 on...no dry on,Did however double book soybean seed.If for some wild reason beans would really make a wild run between now and April 1,we will switch some corn acres to bean acres,would eat +$50 acre on NH3,but back in 83 (PIK year) we had all of our NH3 on in fall and ended up planting soybeans on ground we had intended to plant to corn.The N most definitely made those beans stay green forever,didn't yield any better on any worse than average( think N cost was around $17 acre then).As conservative as I am...I never veer far off course,my father could not believe we were not going to plant any corn...was the most absurd thing he had ever heard...Remember 83????? wide spread drought...Corn in EC Illinois ran from 0-70 Beans ran from 45-55
LUCK?...H**L yes....Had a bean crop...had PIK certs for the corn crop...Spent 45 days wandering the midwest buying pik certs and flipping them.
Personally I'm uneasy about this 08 crop year...feel like we are due for something production wise negative to happen over a large area.
Good dirt in this area of EC Illinois but I have seen more guys scorched on corn than beans around here.Personally have farmed since 1975,never raised under 44 bushel single crop beans,but have been below 125 bushel corn 3 times (excluding the PIK year)
About the time I decide to grow all beans then they will make 15.....thats what keeps the whole thing fun LOL
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)