AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Opinions on these sterling trucks?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

durallymax
Posted 3/6/2013 11:11 (#2946037 - in reply to #2945481)
Subject: Re: Opinions on these sterling trucks?

Wi
2388 - 3/6/2013 05:28

durallymax - 3/6/2013 00:42

MBE engines are not well liked. Probably on the bottom of the totem pole of the offerings out there.

Ultra shifts are not nice for inching, that add says they have the auto shift though which still has a clutch. They are fine for a driver who doesn't like to shift, lower resale though.

I think with the brand, color, engine, and transmission you just about found the most undesireable truck out there haha. But the price shows it. Truck with just over 500,000 miles, 2007, for $17,500. If you wanted a T800 with those miles, that year and a 430 C13 with a 10 spd manual you might want o add 20-30k to that price.

How much work are you looking to do with it. They could be just the right deal for you.

There isn't anything wrong with a the Sterling or the MBE's outside of resale. They quit building the sterling which hurts it's resale but the Sterling is a Freightliner under the skin. The difference in trucks is 'cost of operation'. Yep pay $35k for a KW or Pete and get 5-6 mpg. Spend $10k less and get a lighter weight truck with better mpg.

As for my post today about my semi break down, I lost an airline.

I never said there was anything wrong with them. They are just less desireable and the price will reflect that. Its a good thing for a lot of people. They pay the bills just fine.

KW builds the most fuel efficient truck on the road, the T680. Many other models get 7-8mpg all day as well. Not every KW is a long hood bought to be "cool". They are just well built comfortable trucks. Plenty of T800 and T600/660 day cabs under 15,000lb empty weight running around. The fact they only used Cummins or Cat and more recently Paccar keeps their resale up some as well.

I may be a KW fan, but when I am talking about "desireable" im dimply refering to resale and not whether or not it is a good truck. Generally less desireable is less desireable for a reason though.

Thats why I asked about his use. If hes not going to run it much they are a decent buy. But at the same time he could get an older truck with a better motor as well.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)