AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pictures of BTO Rented Ground
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jakescia
Posted 7/24/2006 12:20 (#29441 - in reply to #29432)
Subject: No-- I got the point, but the point is evidenced by the combine trail.........

Oskaloosa, Iowa 52577

My interpretation of your remarks is that you thought it was terrible that the BTO was so wasteful, allowing his machine(s) to not be tight/set/whatever enough to do a better job of harvesting, AND that such resulted in "weeds"........which would be any plant not desired at the location of discussion.

First......I have seen fields worse than that by "small" operators..........so the "BTO" link is not pertinent.

Second........those "weeds" are no more indicative of the bottom line of that guy's income statement than is the amount of chemicals he applies/doesn't apply.  He may well have had rain coming in behind him, and did not want to stop and adjust, parts might not have been available for several days, and he chose to continue combining even if being slightly wasteful, since getting in the crop as a whole might have been more profitable than losing a few bushels out the back end..............who knows..........but I can guarantee you that any farmer who has been at it for any length of time---------large or small--------has had to make that decision at least once during a planting/harvesting season.

So, to use those pictures for any reason other than say, "Hey guys, what might have been the problem with this guy's combine.......so I don't make the same mistake...", would be not appropriate, especially on a discussion board where many farmers, especially this year, are fighting weeds they have not seen in years.........especially foxtail------which would from the road appear as the "combine-seeded" weeds would look.  This year's dry weather has produced so much foxtail (especially) that a lot of farmers are questioning whether or not they know how to grow crops........just because looking at their fields this year indicates that they "failed"................and no one likes their mistakes rubbed in their nose..........which is what you did........even though maybe you did not intend that.

It's called "looking or listening thru the eyes/ears of the person to whom you are directing your comments, to project/interpret what they are going to hear/see, before you make your remarks......and adjusting those remarks accordingly."

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)