AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need suggestions on what hay crop to plant in creek bottom land.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

armyturner
Posted 3/4/2013 10:33 (#2941060)
Subject: Need suggestions on what hay crop to plant in creek bottom land.

We are working on a deal with a landowner to rent some creek bottom ground. This has previously been farm ground (mainly soybeans), but lies in an area that is subject to occasional spring flooding. The ground was not farmed in 2012 and he said he has no intentions of farming it this year. He had plans to put in in a CRP or tree program, but has decided to hold off for noe. There is a total of about 300 acres, with about 200 at a slightly higher elevation and less prone to flooding. We have not decided how much we will rent yet. Price to plant/fertilize will be the determining factor. Another land owner has about 20 acres of bermuda on the east end of this block of ground that does poor at best due to the frequent wet conditions.

This will be for hay only as it is farm ground with no fences. I have a customer that is needing about 2200 4x5 round bales this year and we are needing to pick up the extra ground to cover this order. So, i am needing to plant an annual type crop that will produce high tonnage and withstand water if the creek gets out.

The question i have is what would be best to plant in this area. We have been talking about haygrazer, millet, possibly teff in the dryer areas, etc. What could we plant that would tolerate some water once established if we happen to get a big rain that puts the creek out of its banks? Generally, the creek will recede after a day or two following a good rain. I am located in north central Arkansas.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)