AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Snow is melted, here is how our wheat looks
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

mhagny
Posted 3/3/2013 13:33 (#2939033 - in reply to #2938381)
Subject: RE: mulch cover to save moisture

milofarmer1 - 3/3/2013 08:14
KevinM - 3/3/2013 08:09 Just wondering if the CRP rate was not economically feasible or if the opportunity wasn't there to renew? Or maybe not your decision? How does crop insurance work on land coming out of CRP? Hope you guys out west start getting some moisture soon.
Lol, that is a good question. If wheat stays up above $7 farming it is the way to go. If we go back to $4 wheat, I'll have wished it was CRP. It is a good farm, and I elected to take it back to cropland. I'll let you know in 10 years if that was the right decision or not. Believe it or not if you kill the grass the summer before, the winter wheat crop is insurable. And I guess they know what they are doing be cause the wheat in the CRP is some of the better I have, due to better emergence. It is brown and dead on top, but I pulled some up yesterday and most of it had several green tillers at the crown.

Maybe this observation will inspire you to try to keep more stubble on your cropland.  (I realize that crop growth has been meager for several years in your area, but it looks like plenty of tillage was also involved in making the soil so barren.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)