AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Splitting N applications
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 2/26/2013 13:32 (#2927675 - in reply to #2927506)
Subject: RE: Splitting N applications

Little River, TX
It really depends on the soil.

There is a rule of thumb that says we can apply 10 lbs of N for each unit of CEC.
Maybe so with the lower CEC soils, but HERE with a 50 CEC 1,200 units of N/A did not see a decrease in yield until the 7 th season. I figure we, HERE, can apply 25 units of N for each unit of CEC.

In one East Texas Soil with an unknown CEC the School solution is nitrogen will persist 6 full weeks. In practice the GRAZING DAIRIES need to apply Nitrogen every 3 weeks or see a drop in milk production.

Now I presume the 1,200 N I applied would have seen a decrease in hay yield in less than 7 years, IF there had been some extra potash applied also. In that case it was not nitrogen that was limiting yield but potassium for sure. Probably some more sulfur and phosphate would have increased the hay yield and the Nitrogen would have been taken off in yield in 5 or fewer seasons.
As it was more pounds of Nitrogen was taken off as hay than had been dumped on originally.
The Rule of Thumb HERE is the crop will have available half the nitrogen applied each season, PLUS up to half the accumulate nitrogen.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)