AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ed Winkle
Posted 7/23/2006 13:04 (#29183 - in reply to #29140)
Subject: Re: Off Topic......Hog question.....Shaving heads?

Martinsville, Ohio
Isn't that funny how each person affects an animal and vice versa? I still watch pig and other livestock shows for that reason but now have grandchildren doing it already!

Pig clipping arrived here after Jim McCoy of Bloomingburg went to Germany and brought over 8 head of Pietrains and road with them through customs in Canada to get them back here in Ohio. Quite a story I guess. Those huge hams didn't need help in my mind but they started clipping them for eye appeal. Happened sometime in the 90's, don't remember which year.

Nothing more entertaining than watching a non hog person like Rich try and clip a pig for the first time. I would pay to watch the video Rich if you come up with one:) There are at least 3 in our family who do it so I have seen it done but don't do it myself.

I do remember taking my hand clippers, Oster maybe? worked like hand lawn clippers on a barber head to clip the tails on our pigs in the 60's and I would always clip away long hairs that made the pig look older than he was so I am sure this has been done for quite awhile...

'Course I was raised in Brown County Ohio where some of the first show antics were tried thanks to some innovative showmen and advisors who would try about anything to win:)

http://www.admani.com/AllianceShowFeeds/Questions%20And%20Answers.h...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)