AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Kelly
Posted 7/23/2006 10:27 (#29140 - in reply to #29075)
Subject: RE: Off Topic......Hog question.....Shaving heads?

NC KS
My boys been doing this for a couple years themselves. Mom and older sister used to do it. We prefer not to tie them up. Use Oreo cookies to make them your friend. Generic kind will work. Feed them out of your hand. I don't like clipping but it is a necessary evil but I will say a couple of families didn't clip at our county fair and they still had some class winners.

You might check your fair rule book (you should have worn the pages out on the fair book by now). Most fairs prohibit clipping at the fair but some are still clipped there. My youngest clipped a couple of pigs for some pocket change and goodwill. You do need to get them in at least an 8x8 area or smaller and they must be clean.

The 2 boys are as different as night and day. The youngest would walk his pigs all over the farm beyond fences, etc. Always under control and organized. The older one looked like he was doing wind sprints during football camp chasing those pigs all over. Both did all right in the ring and amazingly the older one had better control of things in the ring. I don't know if he pinched the pig's ear and threatened physical violence or what.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)