AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Virgin Yokahama's vs recap bridgestones
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

greenfarmer
Posted 2/20/2013 10:22 (#2912532 - in reply to #2912483)
Subject: Re: Virgin Yokahama's vs recap bridgestones

Central Minnesota
How do you inspect a brand new cap? 300 miles, blows apart and wrecks fairings? That one my friend, isn't the driver, or owners fault. That's a faulty cap.

Caps can't take the heat of the road in the summer, sliding tires on sharp turns and hot roads, coupled with air pressure are all things that cause caps to come apart. In July, check tire pressure on a fully loaded grain trailer, drive 50 miles to your destination, and check again. 5-10 pounds higher because of the heat. But if you run them under-inflated your also asking for problems. All of that added expansion and contraction on them coupled with the weight is hard on them.

Back in the mid 90's when I tried caps, it seems I was always experiencing tire problems and replacing tires every year because of something. Cap starting to separate from casing, a bulge, crack, uneven tread wear, you name it. Put virgins on and never have those problems. Same 8 virgin drive tires now on one farm truck since 2006, and only one flat. Caps would have been all replaced atleast once since then. And those tires have over 100,000 on. And still in great shape. No weather cracks, no bulges, nothing.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)