AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

VKnoblock
Posted 7/23/2006 09:13 (#29109 - in reply to #29105)
Subject: Re: Off Topic......Hog question.....Shaving heads?

We have not had to tie up a pig to clip it- yet. By show time they have been worked with so much that they are pretty tame and we are able to just "do it". We put the pig in the back section of our livestock trailer so that he can't wander around a bunch. For the head and tail we use #15 blades without a guard (A5 clipper). For the body we use a larger clipper, in our case an Oster Clipmaster. We use a 1/8" guard for the body (actually 2 guards since the blades are wide).

For show day prep I like to use a hair polish called Laser Sheen. It is silicone based, so allowed at most shows. Best to read the rules to make sure will be OK at your show. Most shows do not allow oil based products.

Your post reminded me of my reaction when told we needed to clip the pig- I was dumbfounded- clip a PIG??? My first reaction was that any judge worth his paycheck should find the best hog regardless of the amount of hair on him. But after I saw the difference it makes I became a believer. Besides, it is kind of fun to tell your non-farm friends that you spent the previous evening clipping a pig. :-)

Good luck, have fun, post results!

VK
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)