AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New guy with a feed question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

super steve
Posted 2/12/2013 10:30 (#2893675)
Subject: New guy with a feed question

SWOntario
Hi everybody, long time reader, first time poster.

A little background on what i've got. Currently have 20 cows, starting to calve but will calve from now until late summer. They eat pretty much straight grass hay outside unless the weather is really bad, then i feed them inside. I also usually have a round bale of wheat straw out there that they munch away at sometimes.

I also have 13 calves from last year that are locked in the barn. They also get straight grass hay and about a 5 gallon pail of oats once a day. I'm not very good at guessing weights but i would say they are around the 3-500lbs.

Do to the shortage on hay this year and not being happy with the amount of hay i have left, i managed to find some "hay" to buy. I say "hay" because it was an 80-20 alfalfa/timothy mix that was notilled into wheat stubble last year then cut and baled. The timothy didnt really come up very much and i would say there is about 20-30% straw in the these bales with the alfalfa.

Now to my question, what should i feed to what? Give the alfalfa/straw to the cows? calves? I have a few tons of oats still so should i keep going with that to the calves?

sorry this is long and sorry for the noob questions
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)