AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

NH3 PRICE
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

loran
Posted 1/20/2008 01:18 (#287543 - in reply to #287374)
Subject: no right or wrong

West Union, IOWA FLOLO Farm 52175
Tommy, I'm not one to try and persuade a change of thought and certainly never questioned your intelligence. I like others,enjoy trying to learn from things others are doing and will freely admit my figures are not to the nats behind(I tend to round high to allow)and is partly the reason I'm liking your responses( you seem to have a pretty good grasp on your cost and not shooting from the hip like the original guy I replied to, so bear with me please.

I do understand that storage and trucking cost you but, for a true comparision they're optional aren't they? and how can you have them on corn and not beans? By taking them 2 figures out with infield or a Picked up bid you even the score and aren'y trying to compare 2 different marketing stratigies.

If you chose to store shouldn't the "carry" offset storage and associatted cost? or what are you gaining by storing?

I'll say the same with trucking "here" if I sell "local" price they the buyer will pay my truck or somebodies truck to deliver to a terminal( if I sell direct to terminal the price should increase to reflect to added transport) And if your doing all that to support hogfeed should that show as an expense for the the hogs and not for the grainside of things or how would you decide which enterprise is actually making money?

As for the 3rd spray on beans I was allowing for an extra pass for Insecticde/fungicide and a standard 2xrr insecticde.

As for harvesting Isu has corn harvesting vs bean in the same ballpark ($.80avg)and with whole farm custom rate only $10+ for corn($88.60vs$79.15avg). Please don't take these as Gospel but they're the figures I have to present and compete with when presenting to a potential customer for doing Custom work.(and also why I don't disclose actual figures)

Again I hope your not taking my respones as insults or negatively, conversations like this really help in understanding others situation and hopefully improve the communication skills,cause I'm fully trying to appreciatte what your saying and relate it to what I'm just throwing out general statements like some with no defense of my position.

Cause ultimately if it's working ,great, but I always question is there room for improvement--loran

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/Publications/FM1698.pdf

Edited by loran 1/20/2008 01:24
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)