AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bobcat 642-B ??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

KMech
Posted 1/29/2013 19:05 (#2859309 - in reply to #2858709)
Subject: RE: Bobcat 642-B ??

Missouri
Don't let me tale of pulling the guts out of it twice scare you away. They are both explainable situations.

The first time when the hydro motor mount stud fell into the chain case, it was driven too long ignoring the disturbing noise it was making. The bolt on the bottom of the chaincase would periodically jam up between the steel of the case and the driven sprocket. We didn't realize what was happening at the time, but the left side would intermittently lock up. Dad just reversed direction momentarily (which dislodged/unwedged the loose bolt that was rolling around in the chaincase) and went back to work. It was poor judgement.

The flywheel ring gear replacement was just the result of having a starter that grinded some of the time, and not dealing with it properly by replacing the starter. This problem was exacerbated by continually cranking it hard to start it, when it was really in need of a carburetor overhaul. (Dad's a stubborn old man, and for years insisted "she's just cold natured", until one time while he was gone on vacation I overhauled the carburetor. Prior to carburetor service, it wouldn't run with any power in the heat of July unless the choke was all the way out.

The driveshaft ujoints was a maintenance oversight.

The vacuum leak was freak happenstance/maintenance oversight. I thought those hoses looked a little crummy the first time I gutted the machine. I should have replaced them with new.

The leaky valve cannot be explained away. That as far as I know was just the machine letting me down. It was a minor leak, and we would have never fixed it, just avoided parking on the good concrete, except that the engine was out the second time, it made sense to do it while it was easy to get to.

When the points are in adjustment, and the carburetor in good tune, that thing would start in single digit temperature by pulling the choke out, stroking the throttle twice, and turning the key. When the carburetor was wonky, it was hard to start in 60 degree temps. When the points were out, it was hard starting, lacked power, and popped and backfired all the time.

Also replaced one muffler over the life of the machine.

If that's not too much information for you, and there's anything else you care to ask, shoot. I've been into everything on that machine except the hydraulic/hydrostat assembly (Thank God!!!)

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)