AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

FSA Image file question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

LHaag
Posted 1/13/2008 17:04 (#282362 - in reply to #280408)
Subject: RE: Images ??

Colby, Kansas
Lanny.

Your firm was not what I had in mind in regard to my post and I apologize if you construed it as anything personal, it was certainly not intended that way. Unfortunately for me I've never had any experience with your products or people involved. The products offered by Mosiac and locally through Cargill Ag Horizons were the source of my frustration.

From a piece of promotional literature:

"InSiteYPM - InSiteYPM maps are generated from satellite imagery to identify crop productivity levels. These virtual yield maps are generated without theneed of a yield monitor. Vegetation and organic matter distribution maps pain a clearer picture of what is happening both above and below the soil surface. Managmeent zones can be identified for multiple products applications or exported to any GIS program for soil smapling or data analysis. InSiteYPM maps are the basis for proper nutrient applications using InSiteVRN."

"InSiteVRN - Through the use of satellite mapping and advanced computing tools derived from the InSiteYPM maps, you can pinpoint a field's optimum soil nutrient requirements and create a prescription for site-specific crop nutrient needs. Credit from other nutrient applications, organic matter, previous crop, and manure are incorporated into the prescription created by the InSiteVRN product."

I agree with your philosophy of using the imagery to determine locations for groundtruthing various things. And I think once those relationships between imagery and variable X are determined then imagery can play a key role in any type of variable management be it zones or a more spatially intensive system such as grids or continuous surface. I think imagery has a role to play in conjunction with other datasets, but I'm extremely cautious about it being used as a single layer for anything other than scouting in the current crop year.

A few questions Lanny if you wouldn't mind, I assume in your processing your performing some type of cluster analysis. How many zones do you typically break it into, or is that varied on a customer to customer basis. From imagery that I would purchase from you, could I extract actual values for the different bands for each pixel. "We do not believe you can throw all data layers in a bucket and get an answer so we are very selective on looking at the dataset and determine if the data is good or not." Could I ask what other layers you have had good/bad luck with and what your method of evaluation is to determine if the data is good or not?

Best Regards,
Lucas

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)