AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

No-till corn into hay field
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

200+CORN
Posted 1/13/2013 16:15 (#2819691 - in reply to #2819457)
Subject: Re: No-till corn into hay field

Hillsboro, Ohio
As long as you're taking the hay crop off I don't think it will matter a whole lot. I would personally wait and let the hay get a little growth so you ensure a good kill. Guess a lot depends on if it's RR corn and what you're using as your burndown herbicide.

I run into the same issue you describe with ground coming out of CRP and we're not taking the "hay" off. Much of the ground has been let get a little too wild and has Russian Olive stumps bush hogged off everywhere; thus it can't go to beans with out tearing up sickle sections at harvest. I don't have a good answer for this situation besides wait it out, the gound will probably never get into great planting shape, but if you get a descent stand, the trash will hold moisture and the soil will probably have better organic matter than most due to roots from previous plants and undisturbed soil.

I like to put on at least 50 extra units of nitrogen, which means double side dressing for me, to compensate for all the extra carbon from CRP residue. My 2012 CRP to corn ground out yielded next best corn by 21 bushel.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)