AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A Ranchers Thoughts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

jackND
Posted 1/11/2008 16:01 (#280984)
Subject: A Ranchers Thoughts

Just sitting here thinking and reading SC's posts the last few weeks has been very thought provoking. Thanks SC, keep it up. A few things on my mind today. Thank God I've got plenty of feed on hand, and corn in the bin. I have a pen of feeders I'm finishing and will do OK on them. I'm still $$ ahead, but I feel for those who have to sell calves right now. Been there, done that. I sold wheat off the combine just below $6.00 and was happy. A little @ $8.35 just to say I had. Now with the wheat bins empty, I'm looking forward to the new year. A few long term trends on my mind. My thoughts only. Hogs (US and Canada) are in a liquidation phase. Cattle will soon be there. The ave rancher is on Social Security. Ethanol plants before today were having a hard time already. Went to a meeting yesterday, and a former BEEF editor that's well traveled said Brazil has put over a million acres into production of sugarcane for ethanol. Don't remember the exact % but sugarcane is much higher than corn on converting efficiencies. Argentina is killing cows and breaking that fertile soil. If today's action doesn't send a signal to sell cows and plant corn, don't know what it will take. So what happens if the politicians remove the subsidy on ethanol? Or the hog and cow herds drop by 3-4%? Believe me I'm not trying to hose down this euphoria. You farmers needed this for a change. Just SC has the mind contemplating more on the big picture and future this week. BTW I hear Korea may have a big announcement on beef trade in 10-12 days.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)