AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cost projections....for the folks that don't do them.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Gman21
Posted 1/3/2013 19:23 (#2796675 - in reply to #2796492)
Subject: Re: Cost projections....for the folks that don't do them.

LaSalle, Ontario, 10 miles south of Detroit Mi.
i work off farm and live off that income, pretty close, do draw a little from the farm because my farm is small and could not live off the income of it for it's size. I do treat my farm like the bussiness that it is, I do not work or will not work it for free. I plan in my head but not on paper, why? For years like last when it was to wet in the fall of 2011 to plant wheat so for 2012 I had no wheat income but that wheat ground went into beans and I did better than if I would have had wheat, it was just a little tight for cash till the bean money came in. I know where i want my farm to be in 5 years as far as equipement goes but how can you plan a crop before it is planted and you don't know the weather? To me that is guessing not planning. I do know that if the weather is right I will plant 1/3, wheat, 1/3 beans and 1/3 corn each year rotating every year because that is good for the soil, and God stopped making soil along time ago. I don't sell ahead I have enough storage for my crops and sell after, my year end is Dec. 31 so I sell last years crops this year, I don't worry if I will have enough grain to fill the contracts as I have the grain in bins. It was hard the 1st year we farmed because I had no income but we got through. this is just my way and I have the luxury of doing it my way because it is my farm. just my 2 cents. Like said before because someone does not put it to paper doesn't mean that they are not on top of the game. I do know my cost of prodution as i know my input costs and my bushels per acre harvested so I have no guessing at what price to get per bushel to break even.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)