AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

More on Crabgrass / summer annual
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Douglas
Posted 1/1/2013 15:00 (#2791058 - in reply to #2790047)
Subject: Re: More on Crabgrass / summer annual

Central North Carolina
I am guessing you use oats because you need fall grazing. You won't get that with overseeded bermuda and other annuals. Since you are using cultivation to get your winter annuals going the crabgrass will work good because you need to incorporate the seed once a year. The first year you normally cultivate in spring to plant the summer crabgrass and then just fall cultivation thereafter. I have done this double crop several years and it works find if you allow it to reseed and cultivate once a year. Ryegrass delays the crabgrass start much more that other winter annuals so you might consider use rye or something else on part of it. I spray weeds so i can't comment on the weed problem. Like others have said, crabgrass is not drought tolerant. With some nitrogen it is very high quality forage or hay. Oats can be planted much earlier than most people believe, like mid august here. Also i broadcast my oats before light discing combined with a chain drag and works fine but I also use cheap bin run oats and just plant more seed.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)