AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

makin' hay
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 1/7/2008 23:58 (#278361 - in reply to #277845)
Subject: RE: Old Pokey consider this.

Ya, it is quite dry here in the time of grass hay. Usually low humidity, sometimes breezy. What I am wondering is if someone were to come up with a way to direct cut our fescue (locally a dryer is what you use for drying your clothes), that would eliminate the swathing cost and accompanied shatter loss. Then, if it were possible to cut right behind the combine with a mower, be it with or without conditioner, I wonder if we could bust into the hay market some as well as seed. That's basically what Neil is doing, and I know a few in MO that direct cut their fescue, but they all seem to have those elusive dryer facilities.

I even talked some more with the boss about it today, mentioning Neils cotton machine and the idea behind it. Just need to get up the courage to try something new sometime and see what comes of it. Right now, behind the combine that runs the entire swathe that was cut at ground level, there is nothing but brittle stems, no leaves. The leaves that were on it are ground to fine dust in the combine. That's why they call it straw I guess.:-) They do use it for supplimental feed roughage in Japan and other places as well as some for domestic feed and bedding.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)