AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hay rings, same old rings, poly, GoBob pipe??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

feelnrite
Posted 12/29/2012 09:14 (#2783312 - in reply to #2782760)
Subject: Re: Hay rings, same old rings, poly, GoBob pipe??

northwest tennessee
It is a big hay saver for me. I have noticed you have to pay more attention to what you are doing though. Like dont unroll a good roll of hay today then tomorrow go to lesser hay. Cows are like kids if they know there is better they are not going to eat much of the bad. Get on a type of hay and stay there until you feed it up. Also I dont let them to more than they will eat in about 2 hours and then they stay in that spot until I turn them to more in about 6 or 8 hours. I also find them being picky when they come out of rye grass so the first 8 hours out of the grass they just get enough hay to keep them interested as the empty. Then they will start eating and cleaning up after that. Not only do I save hay I feed the same amount of cows on less hay. So I guess I am saving hay in two ways. What I do takes time and I know it wont work everywhere. I unroll every 2 to 2.5 days and turn to it. Rain does not bother them but snow is a problem. They will nose through it but waste will increase with snow. I find though that as they come back through that area the next time if the snow is gone they go back and clean up. This hay deal has gotten out of hand and I am determined to cut my useage in half if I can. Folks talk about demand destruction in grains by them being high and the same thing can happen with hay.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)