AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hay rings, same old rings, poly, GoBob pipe??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

tjdub
Posted 12/28/2012 22:15 (#2782760 - in reply to #2781930)
Subject: Re: Hay rings, same old rings, poly, GoBob pipe??

feelnrite - 12/28/2012 15:10

This is the reason I am glad I unroll hay now. Less waste and hay rings have gotten crazy high.

I've been unrolling (some to most) of my round bales for about 5 years or so. I'm not convinced it saves any more hay than using the rings. If it's good hay, you bet they clean it up well, but they seem to clean up that variety of hay in the rings too. If it's crappy hay, they leave a lot of it, no matter if I feed it in a ring or unroll it. The first year I started using the unroller I made the mistake of unrolling my worst marsh hay in a field and it seemed like they were eating it up, but then when the snow melted I saw the result (not good). I had to dig out my old flail chopper and a silage box to clean up that mess. If it's good hay it SEEMS like there's less waste when you unroll, but I think that might just be because the waste is spread out over a wider area. For something like oat hay, they waste a lot in rings, but then if I unroll it, it's much worse.; They just eat all the grain and leaves off and leave a huge amount of "straw". Also, if there's alfalfa in the hay most of the leaves tend to get turned into dust if you unroll it. For the past couple of years, I've only been unrolling sudangrass bales, good-quality grassy bales, and bedding. I feed the alfalfa, oat hay, and poor hay in rings and I think they waste a lot less of it that way. For me the main benefit of unrolling is to spread out the manure and eliminate "ring damage" on pasture.

That's just my experience, though. I might be doing it wrong.

Edited by tjdub 12/28/2012 22:20
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)