AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

makin' hay
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

tallgrassneil
Posted 1/7/2008 17:20 (#277878 - in reply to #277838)
Subject: RE: Beautiful Pitchurs!

West Texas
My kinfolk refer to it as "scenically-challenged", Bill, but they're also town people, so what do they know.

I do have trees around the house for shade and windbreak, and that's pretty common out here on the Llano. See a tree, there's either a house there, or there once was a house. You can pretty much tell the age of a home by the size of the shade trees.

For this particular bluestem field, we tried a drill, and planted in a crosshatch pattern and aimed  to plant 4 lbs/acre PLS. Worked just as well as the field I planted with a cotton planter using fuzzy-cottonseed hoppers or the one we broadcast and rolled. Equal success, no matter the method or variety. Not a very fussy plant, but some varieties take longer to set than others. 

Don't scrimp on the pounds per acre.

The info I have on the OWB indicates it spreads from a Mother plant to fill in gaps between other Mother plants. I believe it propagates by seed. Once a Mother plant is established, attempting to fill in bare spots with another planting results in something resembling autotoxicity. I guess these Mamas are out to protect their turf.

Oh yeah ... it's pretty dry here ... humidity tends to be 20% or less. All my baling is done in the morning, when RH is at least 55% to start with. Below that, and I'm baling straw.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)