AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

private pilot
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Bob Blue
Posted 12/25/2012 16:55 (#2775384 - in reply to #2775284)
Subject: Re: private pilot

In the late 1940' and 1950's, would pedal my bike to the airport and watch the airplanes. My first job, out of college and a short military tour, flight instruction, soloed in 4 weeks then bought my first airplane 4 weeks later, Got the pilots license in early 1962. Marriage in 1965, end of airplanes, but still flew occasionally . In early 2007, had about 700 hrs, asked my wife, "what if I bought another airplane". Her first response,"Why", replied "Why Not". Money is not a problem, I have the health, lets enjoy life while we can, why give all the money to the kids, Secondly, a local pilot is going thru a divorce and I can buy this plane at a very good price, his lawyer needs money. Two weeks later, I owned a nice low time 1952 Tri-Pacer and we have had many breakfast, lunch, and evening time flights together. About 300 hours in the last 5 years. My son graduated in 1990, told him get your pilots license, if you get married, it will never happen. He got the license and then married and that was the end of his flying. He flew with me once in a while and this summer said I want to get my biannual and start flying again. He did that and has 14 hours in it now. He stopped yesterday. asked if I was going to fly , said yes, he said I will let you warm it up and then I'll take my wife for a ride, First time for her in a small plane. She enjoyed the flight. What she doesn't know. he and I have been talking about buying a 172 with a 180hp engine. Would make a nice family plane. Showed my wife a nice 172, she liked it, easier to get in and out of and more room for the two of us. My recommendation to all, get the license, it is going to get more expensive each year you wait. In 1962, $20.00 would buy 50 gallons of 80 octane, now it buys almost 4 gallons of 100 octane. Haven't tried car gas, everything here has ethanol.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)