AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

tubs
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

2hcattle
Posted 12/18/2012 06:11 (#2759222 - in reply to #2757455)
Subject: Re: tubs

Southwest OK
4J, let me repeat what I said earlier, "If I was short on hay or grass, then yes, DDGs would be a better alternative, but I am not." By using high protein tubs I am trying to feed the "good bugs" in the gut so they can process dry grass better. I want to utilize what I have already grown.
As for animal performance, I think the pictures of the heifers that started this conversation say enough, but I will go into greater detail. I exposed 44 heifers to bulls in May of '11. Forty stuck. Conception rate of 91%. I had forty live calves. Pulled one with a leg turned back, and one that was slightly to big. She probably would have had it eventually, but I was there, so I pulled it with chains, no puller. Re bred those cows this spring, 39 out of 40 were bred. 97.5% conception. December of '11 I exposed 27 heifers to bull. 25 stuck. 92.6% conception. I have 25 live calves and never touched one. This spring AI'd 148 heifers and put in cleanup bulls. 126 stuck. 85% conception. These are pushed and put together sale barn heifers. Exposed 59 brahma X heifers to bulls this spring also. 53 stuck. 90% conception. Twenty five broken mouth trader cows of my fathers, 100% conception.
The 126 heifers that are on dry grass and tubs will stay there for approximately ninety days. Pasture rent per head is $11.11, tub and mineral cost is $15.30, fuel to check them will be approximately $0.36, The three lbs of feed they get once a week will cost $5.27. Total cost per head to winter for 90 days is $32.04 .
My criteria for animal feeds are, performance, cost of gain, NOT cost per ton, and ease of use. These tubs rate highly in all of those categories. DDGs are a good product, and I have used them in the past and will again in the future. They just don't fit this situation.

edited to add
Yes sulfur issues can be addressed and fed around. I have had several brainer calves over the years and am familiar with the treatments and preventions. If a program that does not have those issues is working for me, why should I change. When feeding a high % DDG diet I have to allow for some problems. Gluten pellets will NOT work for me if they were free.

Edited by 2hcattle 12/18/2012 06:20
Top of the page Bottom of the page

• tubs - 4JFarms : 12/17/2012 09:39

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)