AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

When buying bred cows/heifers from sales barns?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

GregChuckles
Posted 12/17/2012 12:21 (#2757689)
Subject: When buying bred cows/heifers from sales barns?

What do most of you do...and Im not talking about registered bull/heifer/cow sales either. Do you research and call ahead to see who is consigned, possible call them and take a look at the cattle before hand. Show up to the sale barn and check the pens ahead of time? Show up to the sale barn and start bidding on what you think meets your eye test? Just curious, no right or wrong on here. It just seems like when I go to these stock cow bred heifer sales I see too many people not having a clue on what they are buying beyond what they see in the ring and the few notes that the auctioneer announces ahead of time.

Personally, most of those sales make me nervous for the most part unless they are bred heifers or a dispersion. A lot of times I see a lot of cows that come through the ring that has some sort of problem like disposition, bag, etc. I don't want those type of cows. Hell, I don't like it when I haul in a load of cows to sell that don't fit my operation, but it is what it is. Not saying they are junk, but for instance, I will be taking some to town shortly that I no longer want to mess with their bags.

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)