AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anarchist Soccer Mom and the school shooting
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Newguy
Posted 12/17/2012 00:11 (#2757041 - in reply to #2756955)
Subject: Change the law....

Renville Minnesota

Get rid of adult privacy when one is diagnosed with mental illness....   Your right, they do need help in the control department.  Its not only for the "rest of society" its for the sufferer too.   No way is it easy to see a loved one "locked up", but there is a need for what is best for everyone including the patient.....   No one ever thinks their "crazy".....   Only one Ive read about was John Nash.  (saw the movie first)

I was told "its not against the law to be crazy" by a government professional.....

Emt1979 guy and proplock have first hand experience in where the problems lie.   Rodrod5 has a good foundation of what should be done for the 13 year old (original post), but has yet to offer an ounce of evidence to support the reality of why things are not being done.   While I agree parenting can influence outcomes of a persons character, when it comes to something being wrong in the brain, parenting has zero influence.   I would swag if there were facility's like what rodrod5 explained readily available, they would be full.   Illnesses like schizophrenia do not surface until later in life on average.  1% of the  U.S. population suffer from it,  to put it in perspective,  a little over 1% farm for a living.   And there is ZERO evidence of what triggers it aside from being passed down genetically.   I guess thats why Im in favor of getting rid of or relaxing adult privacy in certain instances.    By far those who suffer from mental illness are NOT dangerous to anyone but themselves (very high rate of suicide), but holy hanna look out for the ones who are.   Very high repeatability.

FWIW: we are not the only country fighting this.

Unfortunately it has everything to do with Money.  Pulling it out of social welfare (mental hospitals) is one reason why were are experiencing what we are experiencing.....  10 years ago the local mental health hospital closed its doors here  (was known as the red roof inn), most here think 50 years ago everything was fine..... Columbine wasn't that long ago.   Interesting how things might correlate.     Emt1979 guy down below has a great link in the history of mental health care, I suggest everyone read it.

There is a dire lack of facility's in the states.  I understand the monetary issue facing our economy is dire, but this is one area that needs to be expanded.   And I consider myself fiscally conservative.     

I'd like to thank everyone in this thread for focusing on mental health (even though emotion is high) instead of the gun laws.....  This is where the discussion needs to be.  More or less guns will have zero effect on future tragedy's like what happened a few days ago.   More talk on mental health needs to happen, and is healthy.

I wish I had more answers.  Am sure us farmers are not educated enough to have all the answers, but acknowledging the need for better ways of handling mental illness needs to be addressed.

Anyone who has never dealt with a close friend or family member who suffers from mental illness like schizophrenia/bipolar/severe depression,  say a prayer of thanks for you are truly blessed! 

Edited by Newguy 12/17/2012 00:22
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)