AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Scales?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 12/15/2012 00:48 (#2752657 - in reply to #2751209)
Subject: RE: Scales?

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I have a setup like RAF above. Trutest platform in the alley just ahead of the palp cage. I slit an 8 ft pu rubber bed mat and put it on the platform to improve footing and keep manure out.  The load bars don't have to be as expensive as the ones that are under the chutes.  There is always an animal in the alley waiting to go in the chute. I weigh the next one in the alley while the vet is working (preg checking, shots etc) on the one in the chute.

Here's a picture of the platform scale in the alley after i replaced my first attempt at a mat. The mat has worked well since this 2010 pic. This is a 7 ft Trutest platform in a std 8 ft For-most alley section.

Mine get weighed every time thru. Scale sits out all year. cattle don't seem to mind stepping up a few inches onto it.

If you have a large herd probably a chute w scales is the weight to go. For a smaller herd this setup as pictured works very well at a lot lower total cost than a much more expensive chute with more expensive loadbars.

Jim

Edited by Jim 12/15/2012 01:10

(IMG_2132_replaced scale mat with 4 x 8 rubber from TSC.JPG)

(IMG_1412_alley scale_fall workup 102412.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_2132_replaced scale mat with 4 x 8 rubber from TSC.JPG (72KB - 154 downloads)
Attachments IMG_1412_alley scale_fall workup 102412.jpg (78KB - 167 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)