AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

jd planter Coil tine tillage attachment?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

John Burns
Posted 7/17/2006 21:28 (#27517 - in reply to #27366)
Subject: RE: jd planter Coil tine tillage attachment?

Pittsburg, Kansas

I know a neighbor who had a set for a few weeks. They take a pretty clean tilled soil. The tines are set pretty vertical and are fairly stiff so they don't shed a lot of trash. Another problem is since the tines are stiff the depth setting is kind of critical. A little too deep and they act more like furrow openers. Too shallow and they don't do anything. My personal guess is they would work good if you had clean tilled soils that was fairly cloddy. They could be used to scoot the clods aside. I know the neighbor had the dealer take them back and they set in a pile for a long time.

John

EDIT: I just realized you said 7000 planter and not 7200 - the front tine attachments are totally different. The 7000 front tine attachment works pretty good in conventional tillage. It is a more swept back and floating design compared to the 7200 which uses the same depth adjusters as the furrow openers. We used the rear tine attachment back when we used banded dry herbicied attachments. They did a slight bit of tillage and seemed to help the granular Lasso partially activate when we were planting on moist soil - we thought they helped anyway. I think both would be a hinderance if you have much trash, er excuse me - I mean "residue" (have to be politically correct these days).

John

Edited by John Burns 7/17/2006 21:40
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)