AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

difference in alfalfa seed?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Ben D, N CA
Posted 12/12/2012 23:56 (#2748963 - in reply to #2748364)
Subject: RE: difference in alfalfa seed?

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot
Hard to know. Any alfalfa trials in your area on your soils? We are in a tough area as the soil varies so much. Lot of alfalfa grown in beach sand here, varieties that do well there will not do well at all 10 miles away on muck lake bottom. So many factors. I'm very lucky, most of my ground is the same as where the university does variety trials. They do a good job with using current varieties. I've never gone wrong with just picking one of the top varieties from one of the known seed companies. There is an honest two ton difference (6 ton vs. 8) between check varieties (old public) and the newer stuff, yet I know lots of people who just plant the cheapest public variety they can find.

Something I am going to start paying more attention to is pest resistance ratings. I planted a new brand this year that isn't common at all here, I chose it because of the yield. It happened to have a Highly Resistant rating to our common pests, weevil and aphid. I never put much faith in those, but strangely enough we had a lot of pest pressure this year and I only had to spray once. Some fields adjacent to that one needed 3-4 to keep the weevils and aphids down. Saved me at least $30/acre in material and $30/acre in airplanes. The seed didn't cost $60/acre more than a cheap variety.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)