AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Field Cultivator choices
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Pat H
Posted 7/17/2006 18:11 (#27457)
Subject: Field Cultivator choices

cropsey, il 61731
We have been using a modern flow soil finisher that is a little narrow (24') and a white field cultivator that is plenty wide (40'), but has little clearance. I'd like to consolidate to one 30-35' decent used cultivator like a dmi, case, JD. I'm leaning towards the dmi since everyone in my neighborhood has one and they seem to work well (I don't think everyone is being a copycat for fashion's sake). It seems to have good clearance and does a nice job with a spike harrow. Anyone have any info on green, red or other green (glencoe, etc)?

I wouldn't mind going to a larger finisher that more folks had experience with however, with near $3 diesel I think the Fcult is the better choice. I'm thinking of trading away the modern flow because there is really no one around to support it. It worked great the first few years we used it, but in tough, trashy, moist conditions it was difficult to get it to flow trash and run level and even JD changed designs significantly in the later models. I was really yearning for the simplicity of a field cultivator this spring.

The white cultivator is ok, but is a mid to early 80's model without much clearance. We use it mainly to level chiselled ground and it works well for that, but it's trouble in heavy bean stubble (even after the disrupters in the combine chew it up).

Thank you for your thoughts,

Pat

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)