AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

More Than Manure
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Purdu21
Posted 12/7/2012 11:13 (#2738095 - in reply to #2737807)
Subject: Re: More Than Manure

WCIN
I think the best time to treat is right after pumping. Guys have seen the N stabilizer last around 10 months, and there have been soil tests to prove it. I also recommend that first treatment be for only a quarter of the pit or half. That way, if for some reason you only get half full, you don't have extra product in the pit and don't waste any money. When you see you are going to get another 250,000 gallons of manure in, then treat for 3/4, and so on.

If you have 1,000,000 and treat at 5,000 gal/ac., then you have 200 acres to apply on. 18oz/acre x 200 acres =3600 oz. 3600oz/128oz per gallon = 28.125 gallons of MTM. Of course they make you buy in 2.5 gallon jugs (unless you want a 250 gallon tote). So round up your 28.125 gallons to 30 gallons. 30 gallons x $120 = $3600.

If you look at the published data on the website, Iowa had an average of about 15.5 bpa over untreated manure. That's a pretty big claim! If you take the $3600, figure corn at even $6, that's 600 bu, which over 200 acres is 3bpa. With the big claims out there, I'd probably feel pretty comfortable looking for a 3bpa increase. Anything above that and you are in the money agronomy-wise. Take into account the lower levels of ammonia and reduction of solids, and I think you have a real winner.

Granted, I sell the stuff. But from what I've seen here locally this year (haven't got any yield data yet) with ammonia reduction, solids breakdown, custom pumpers telling me they notice the pumps working a little less harder, and overall ease of use (just pouring a jug), I like it. I can also promise you with me having cattle and row crops, I don't have time for something that doesn't work.

Feel free to email me and we can get in touch. I don't have anything to gain from IA, so you'll get just what I've seen here. [email protected]
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)