AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Snowblower vs snowplow???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

rHiNoBaLlS
Posted 12/5/2012 18:51 (#2734868 - in reply to #2734680)
Subject: Re: Snowblower vs snowplow???

WC MN
If you only have the cash for one get a blower. That way it gets it out of the yard. I currently blade everything that I can and clean up with the blower if need be. Just for pure speed alone I favor a blade, but you can get yourself into trouble as the year progresses if you don't leave yourself an "exit" strategy for the piles, which is nice to have a back up blower. I bought a decent older 4wd truck with a nice plow for $1,500. For what it cost me, it does the job. I don't like having excess "junk" laying around the yard but I make the exception for this truck. Having another titled vehicle isn't real appealing either. Seems like all I do is move snow some winters :(

If it's 6" or less I can blade way more snow per hour than one can blow. Anything above that and obviously the blower shines. I blade about almost a mile worth of driveway for family members consisting of 3 farm sites. I have been also known to plow 1/2 mile of township road so my wife can get to work as it takes them 2-3 days to get out sometimes (probably because they know I will do it if I have to). Blading speed is around that 10-15 mph or better. That speed can be hard on it according to some but it's held together and time is money :) I can open up 1/2 mile driveway in less than 20 minutes. I can blade out all three farms in under an hour and that includes drive time and stopping for coffee :) But as stated before, the snow has to go somewhere and that's usually a ditch. It eventually comes back if the weather doesn't hold up. Last winter was no problem. Winter before was iffy in some spots. Winter before that was ok but got a little worried towards spring.

http://www.loftness.com/SnowLogix/
Inlaws upgrade every couple of years. These things move snow. Only down side is you are always looking back. Upside they do a "neater" job so if you are going for style points.... If you have a heated cab and your time is not limited it's a good option. If you are dualed up on your tires, consider that before selecting a width. Taking duals off each fall is not fun.. I'd make sure you have a decent cab otherwise it can be a cold miserable job. Blowing out 2 miles of township roads doesn't sound like a fun task with a tractor going in reverse.

If you do buy a used blower, make sure you go over it with a fine toothed comb. There is NOTHING more frustrating than being broke down in -30 weather and family member needs to get to work. As long as chains are kept lubricated and bearings greased they hold together pretty well. I have access to one that's 40 years old and it's holding together still. She has her quirks but gets the job done.

Plows can tear up trucks pretty quick. I would definitely NOT recommend putting a plow on your everyday driver. That's just my opinion. Some brands/years handle the extra weight and abuse better than others. That truck I have on the plow was shot when I got it and now it's really shot. It's safe to drive, just everything is falling off, dented, cracked, or otherwise :) You'd be surprised at all the treasures you find lurking beneath the snow.........
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)