AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Snowblower vs snowplow???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Oliver1
Posted 12/5/2012 18:24 (#2734798 - in reply to #2734649)
Subject: RE: Snowblower vs snowplow???

Alton, Ia
I must be the only one with a plow....

There's a lot of details that make it impossible for anyone to say for sure what is best for you-terrain, layout, drifting, buildings, etc. If you can still borrow the snowblower for the "once in a decade" storms, then get a plow. After you use it for awhile, you'll realize how much snow you can actually handle. I can take care of drifts up to the truck hood, above that then I need the tractor. The main thing with a plow and deep snow is weight in back. Lots. You learn how to chip away at about any drift until it's "thin" enough you can blast through. I can also push the snow higher than the cab roof.

If your driveway is not built up much like you say, can you shove the snow over several passes? Having a snow ridge 50-60' over will actually keep your driveway cleaner. If the drop off isn't too steep, just make a few passes. If it is steep, but you can plow on the lower grade, go like hell down the drive and make it fly, then go down low and move it further. It's really not that hard to start planning for February snow in December.

The one area I have where a blower would be best is a business we have in town, where I have a 300' long alley and I have to push all the snow to the end and pile it. Most winters I get by ok, a few I call the excavator neighbor and tell him to swing by. If you have road stretches where it will drift for 100's of feet continuously deep, then you need a blower. Intermittent drifts are easy with a plow.

There's a time and a place for a plow, loader and blower, but I guarantee in a 6-12" snow I can clear your drive before you get the tractor warmed up.

If your driveway drifts, can you put up a snowfence. The best snow removal tool is the one that puts the snow somewhere out of the way to begin with. If you go with a plow, a straight blade with wings is alot cheaper and pretty darn effective.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)